US +1 760 231 6477, Australia 02 8069 7228 or 03 6387 7043


We have enjoyed enormous success in obtaining E3 visas for Australian citizens. Over the years we have developed a niche practice in this area of US immigration law and practice.


The E-3 is a visa category issued to ‘professional’ workers. Typically an E-3 applicant will have at least a 4 year college degree, or equivalent professional experience, and will come to work in the field of their education or prior experience. At the moment E-3 visas are only available for Australian citizens.



FOR AN INITIAL FREE CONSULTATION CALL:  In the US call: (760) 231-6498 In Australia call  call  (02) 8069 7228 or (03) 6387 7043   email:

E3 Visas

The E-3 visa is an excellent option for Australian Professionals. It possesses huge advantages over the H-1b visa category that other nationalities have to use. FAQ- answered below

1. What is an E-3?

2. Who is eligible? what is a ‘professional’?

3. Is an employer required?

4. What does your employer have to certify?

5. What is the application process?

6. How long does the E-3 last?

What is a E-3 Visa?

An E-3 visa is a work permit issued by a US Consulate/Embassy to a professional  “alien”/foreign worker enabling him/her to work in the US temporarily. This visa is only available for Australians.There are other options available for those who wish to work in the United States temporarily, like getting an intra-company transfer visa (L1), or a business visa (B1), or even a green card. The H1B work permit visa is the most common one for non Australians.

For Australians the E-3 has many advantages over a H-1b.

Who is Eligible ? What is a ‘professional’?

The E-3 work permit is issued to “professionals” who are working in a “professional capacity.” “Professional” means that the worker must have at least a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent in work experience. “Working in professional capacity” means that the person is coming to work in the US not to pursue a hobby or a past-time or for giving free advice or humanitarian service but to earn money/livelihood.

Common examples of professionals working in a professional capacity include engineers, teachers, lawyers, accountants, nurses, computer professionals, market research analysts, business analysts, economists, IT professionals such as programmers, systems analysts, database administrators; health care professionals, such as physical therapists and laboratory technicians, and variety of other types of professionals

NOTE: For every year of formal education lacking, three years of professional experience can be substituted.

Is an employer required?

The E-3 visa is tied to the employer. This means that you must have a sponsoring employer in order to apply.

What does your Employer have to certify ?

The employer has to certify that you will hired to fill a professional position. The employer will also have to certify that he will be paying you the ‘prevailing wage’ for the position. The prevailing wage must be determined from an objective wage survey of similarly employed professionals in the same geographic area as the one where you will be employed.

A Labor Condition Attestation must also be filed with and approved by the Regional Department of Labor (DOL) office. This application assures the DOL that the company would provide you with a fair salary and equal benefits as a US citizen.

NOTE:  The Employer does NOT have to certify that he is unable to find similarly qualified US workers for the job offered. (To be contrasted with the Labor Certification process)

What is the application process?

A E-3 application is normally filed with a US consulate in Australia. If everything runs smoothly an E-3 can be obtained in a matter of weeks.

How long does the E-3 visa last?

The visa is issued in 2 year increments and can be extended for as long as the services of the professional worker are required.

The Spouse and minor children of the E-3 principal also get E-3 visas. The spouse can work  and the children can attend school.

FOR AN INITIAL FREE CONSULTATION CALL: Tel: In the US (760) 231-6498 In Australia call (+61) (02) 8069 7228   email: